Sunday, September 24, 2006

Rabbit, Run!

I'm trying to remember what Michael Silverblatt said to John Updike the other day on "Bookworm" about Updike's "Rabbit" books. Something like this:

"The character of Rabbit Angstrom shows us what it's like to be against society while still a part of it. A major theme in Western literature."

and

"He shows us how we face the unbearable 'dailyness' of living. How we must suffer through it, how we have a responsibility to do so."

Something like that.

I was thinking the other day that the closest I've come to reading a John Updike novel was when I watched the movie HOTEL NEW HAMPSHIRE, based on his novel of the same name. Then I remembered John Irving wrote that. All of the Updike "Rabbit" novels (Rabbit, Run; Rabbit Redux; Rabbit Is Rich; Rabbit at Rest) were recently named (by someone, I don't know who) as being four of the greatest books of the past 25 years, even though he started them about four decades ago. Maybe it's time I read of one them.

Who names their kid Rabbit anyway?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home