Saturday, September 30, 2006

I'm Poor

Monetarily. But not in spirit.

I just went to Albertson's grocery story where I got the $6.99 roasted chicken deal: one whole roasted chicken, a pound of cole slaw, and four King's Hawaiian rolls. I also bought some deli mashed potatoes and gravy for $1.67. The Albertson's near my house is dirt cheap because I live in the 'hood.

Right now I'm sitting on my porch drinking a makeshift Bloody Mary, waiting for my sister to come home so we can dig into our $8.66 meal. I never drink vodka unless it's in a Bloody Mary. Otherwise it makes me violently ill. And I rarely drink Bloody Marys. Only if I'm on a plane. And only two. More than that and I get very, very loopy. Here's my recipe: ice, vodka, tomato juice, black pepper, and hot sauce borrowed from my neighbor Tyler. That's it. It's actually pretty good. When I'm on a plane I get very agitated, very nervous. Every time there's any kind of turbulence, I think, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!! And then a sort of resolved-ness comes over me: "Well, if we're gonna die, we're gonna die." It's sick thinking, really.

It's been overcast and muggy all day, but now the sun is setting and there's a certain calmness, coolness in the air. I took a one-hour nap earlier this afternoon, and I had a dream within a dream. I couldn't figure out if I was living in L.A. or Madison, Wisconsin. I have lots of dreams where I move back to Madison. Maybe it's a sign. I wouldn't mind living there again. I miss it, miss how you can always be yourself. You don't have to be cool (like I really try to be cool all the time, sheesh). Mostly I miss all the cab drivers with PhD's. And the lakes. I miss how you can walk across the isthmus from Lake Mendota to Lake Monona in 30 minutes. And I miss fall. I miss that the most. And I miss throwing darts at the Silver Dollar Tavern.

When I go home later this fall, I'm going to rent a car and drive up to Madison. It's a six-hour drive. My friends Carolyn and Steve live there. And my dear friend Melissa. I haven't seen her in years. She looks like Suzanne Somers.

1 Comments:

Blogger GT said...

she doesn't look like her.

8:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home